Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Earth Day Countdown - Getting a Little Greener in 2011 - Spring Cleaning
Spring Cleaning for Greenies -
1. Reduce - this one is all about buying less stuff with less packaging and cutting the clutter in our lives.
(clutter gets in the way of everything - it is hard to even set an intention for what we want in life when we have filled our lives with too much stuff)
2. Reuse - after you create that pile of stuff you want to get rid off - take another look at the pile - can anything there be reused in a better way - not to hang onto it just to hang onto it - but don't toss the books when you can glue them together and make an amazing side table!
3. Recycle - I know you are already doing this so maybe the next step is a compost pile - composting is super easy
my post with some tips is HERE and a great post on the EcoEtsy blog is HERE.
I recently bought some wonderful worm compost tea to add to my garden from Maryellen of MaryZoom - she has volunteered to help me when I launch my very own kitchen worm bin with red wrigglers, which she promises do not smell and are easy to maintain.
4. Donate - 80% of what we own we never use - maybe someone else can! There is a great list of what to do with our stuff on Martha HERE
5. Make our own cleaning supplies HERE
6. Make it a no-trash cleaning day - ditch the paper towels, the throwaway mop-head thingies and those sticky pads that you have to toss - there are better alternatives to all of these things - if Grandma didn't clean it that way, we probably shouldn't either.
7. Break up with our mailman - get off the junkmail lists with greendimes.com or 41 pounds , go paperless with your statements when possible
At EcoEtsy we are having our 2nd annual Earth Day Auction - this year we are raising money for Habitat for Humanity in Japan - check it out HERE - there are several packages of handmade goodies you can bid on and get yourself some amazing loot while supporting a wonderful cause.
*Jane Austen quote dishtowel at Brookish