When Good Bangs (and Hubbies) Go Bad

So, I thought I was done posting for the week with my fantabulous Friday finds when something happened that I totally need to vent about and let you guys

(notice the term "you guys" because I am from New Jersey after all and if you don't know what I am talking about here check out alamodestuff's blogpost on regional "you" usage)

know exactly what I am up against. It is a hair thing. And it is a guy thing. So you know where I am going with this isn't going to be pretty.

I have had bangs forever, although sometimes they annoy me and I clip them back, and they are not big old eighties bangs (anymore) but more wispy side parted things.

So this morning I just gave them a little trim myself and hubby was getting ready for work and I asked him if he liked them -

(I so know better than to ask him something like this, but the words were out of my mouth before I could catch myself)

and he replied --------

"yeah, it makes your face look bigger"

which, of course, is exactly the look I was going for and he then added

"it looks better today because yesterday it was a little frizzy"

and I wasn't sure if he meant my bangs or my super-Walmart sized face ....

*sigh*

12 comments

Kate8085 said...

Husbands are dumb.
The End.

And "you guys" is a term I use often.
I mean hell, its better than "youse guys", right?

Jenn Milt Art said...

ahh! Men are dumb.
I'm sure they look great ;)

M.M.E. said...

I'm impressed he noticed them the day before. Normally guys don't notice things like that unless you're holding a remote control near it.

June Shin said...

LOL, this was funny. Usually my guy doesn't even have an opinion. I don't know what's better.

And I'm a "you guys girl living in a y'all state. I refuse to give in.

LillyandLulu said...

it's better than the "huh" I get in response to anything~ at least he NOTICED... and no... it can't be bad... have you taken a look at yourself lately .... (hello... smokin')

xoxo~ ames

Old World Primitives said...

Ugh, haha, I know the "exactly the look I was going for" feeling. The last time I got my hair cut my best friend's Mom informed me that I looked "like a little boy." (In front of a bunch of people, including my husband.)

Catherine Ivins said...

so I am still peeved but really want to send his sorry butt out for ice cream which I totally deserve- but this would involve more conversation than the grunts he has been getting from me all night ... oh well, I guess chocolate will win out

Anonymous said...

Lol! When it comes to questions like this, I think most guys have a difficult time articulating. It's like all of a sudden they revert back to 5-year-olds, limited vocabularies and all.

Maybe what he was fumbling around to say, was that the cut brings out your face more (a good thing of course), so in guy speak it looks "bigger."

Translation complete :) Have a good weekend.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

[Sorry for the above delete. Tried to edit typos.]

Argh!! Did he have the "oh, crap, what did I just say" look after it came out of his mouth?! My husband tells me he can never say anything right...which is pretty right.

After I cut my long hair quite short, a good friend of mine said how much she liked my hair longer. WTF??

My RI friends agree that the term is "youse" in RI and MA. I'm from Chicago where it's "you all."

Kara said...

I laughed so hard after reading that blog entry. Husbands are dumb and they keep talking themselves into a worse situation. Never fails.

taghag said...

this reminds me of the time my sister flat-ironed her hair and then asked her bf if he noticed anything different about it. his answer? "it's more low-profile than usual." :)