Recycled Christmas Countdown Part II or start saving those coffee cans

This is the second part of my weekly series on some recycled and repurposed Christmas gift ideas- things that are easy enough to make fairly quickly, but still look like you put the proper time and thought into them.

This makes a great gift for the coffee fanatic on your list and you can make the same style clock for a tea lover, too- the tea tins are sometimes (often) better than the tea.

You will need a coffee can, coffee scoop, clock hardware, hanging hardware and a drill.

I cheated a bit because I already had these great magnetic hooks that I got at Staples (which I used for the bottom to hold the coffee scoop), but you could definitely screw an eyehook into the bottom of the can very easily- just start with a tiny drill hole.

1. Clean out the can- although leaving a little of that coffee smell in there could be a good thing

2. Drill (or drill and punch) a hole in the can for your clock gizmo (empty side of can on top)

(a word about clock gizmos- they are super fragile- so be careful- I immediate bent my second hand into something that resembles the state of Rhode Island, but since this gift is recycled and the recipient just happens to really like Rhode Island, not sure how I know this about him, it is ok ... probably)

3. Insert the gizmo through the back- you will probably need the directions to figure out the order of the little parts- and if you are like me and tend to toss them before you start- this step may take awhile

4. Screw eyehook into can bottom

5. Add hanging hardware to back of can (I suggest 2 sets of hardware - one top and one bottom, so when the person grabs for the coffee scoop they don't pull their clock off the wall)

6. I love packaging things in these larger size lunch bags (found at Target) that you can run through your inkjet with some clever wording.



9 comments

Maiden Jane said...

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I made a simple pen holder out of a Cambell's soup can which looks great against my black and white backsplash, but the color yellowed a bit when we sprayed it. I'm hoping to make a list of fun gifts to make on my blog. Can I link to this?

M.M.E. said...

That is so cool! You could make one as a white elephant gift if you made it using a SPAM can.

Catherine Ivins said...

Definitely Jane! Love the Spam idea Megan! I could picture it with a little plant in it on a table- plus would be an excuse to buy it- haven't eaten it in years, but I remember I didn't hate it!

Tonya said...

LOVE this idea. Thank you! I am definitely going to make one for my barista friend. I wonder if I can find an antique can somewhere...

Olivia said...

Great idea!

Bridget said...

This is great...thanks for sharing...

rosalera on etsy said...

This is so strange Cat! My husband I were just talking about how to package the coffee he roasts for gift giving this holiday season. GREAT IDEA!!!

Brenda said...

What a great idea - I'll have to try this! :)

Ngan {eNVe Designs} said...

this is awesome, cat! my husband would love this. where on earth do you come up with these great ideas??