saturn stations retrograde in aries | July 26th, 2026 to december 10th, 2026 - what kind of structure does this new beginning of ours actually need, what is actually ours to do, what are we really so pissed off about, where did our desire go


On Sunday, July 26th, 2026, Saturn stations retrograde at 14-degrees Aries. He will move backward (from our perspective on Earth) until he gets to 7-degrees Aries and then reverse course and begin moving forward again (in early December).


If we have planets or points within these degrees of Aries or any of the other cardinal signs - Cancer, Libra or Capricorn - we will likely feel this retrograde strongest because Saturn will move over our natal "hot spots" three times, but Saturn's retrogrades affect everyone. He has already made one pass moving forward. Now he will move backward. Then in December he will begin moving forward again. We will be back where we are now - older and wiser - in March 2027. Saturn's retrogrades are annual and last for about five months.


Saturn rules structure and things that are solid/real and have weight, time, goals, hard work, career, public life, authority, discipline, fathers, older people and responsibility. Generally, the best use of Saturn retrogrades is going back over structural issues. Re-considering our commitments. Re-thinking our responsibilities. Re-assessing our goals and ambitions. Re-defining our boundaries. Re-valuing our time. Re-structuring our projects. Sometimes we get to see what is holding us up because it isn't holding us up anymore. DAD IS ON VACATION FOLKS. 

This is an excellent time to take an accounting of what we have accomplished over the last few months while Saturn has been direct. Saturn doesn't always offer pats on the back - so let's give ourselves one now. It is so easy to notice what isn't working that we sometimes don't take the time to appreciate what is. This can also be the time to deal with commitments and responsibilities from the past rather than taking on new ones.

With Saturn making a retrograde in ARIES for the first time in a couple decades it will pay off for us to also think specifically about 1. our Aries natal house theme and 2. the general Aries themes Saturn will be RE-WORKING and this stuff will happen naturally as this retrograde progresses. 

Saturn in Aries asks what happens when the planet of structure meets the raw material of anger, desire, assertion, aggression, instinct and will. Saturn wants to contain, discipline, and give form. Aries wants to move. The old need to be young and the young need to be old. Keep something like this in mind.  


Looking at ANGER for example, because this is a biggie with Aries, the question is not how do I get rid of my anger? It may be something like - can I hold my fire long enough to understand what it is really asking me to do? What is my actual relationship to my own force?


Do I suppress my anger until it leaks out sideways? Do I discharge it immediately, before it can become information or direction? Do I confuse aggression with strength or passivity with peace? Did I inherit a model of authority that punished my fire? Did I learn that being powerful meant being dangerous? Did I learn that the only way to be heard was to BECOME LOUDER or the only way to be safe was to stuff angry emotions?


There is a very Saturnian lesson that anger is not always a command to act. Sometimes anger is a boundary alarm. Sometimes it is actually grief with heat in it. Sometimes it is the accumulated cost of repeatedly overriding ourselves. Saturn retrograde can help us distinguish between the anger that wants to destroy something and the anger that is telling us that something has already been destroyed.


Maybe the deepest version of the retrograde might be - what does it mean to become responsible for my own force/will? This is NOT about being responsible for everyone else's reactions to it. Not about never being angry, but being responsible for knowing what our anger is, where it comes from, what it is protecting, and taking responsibility for what we choose to do with it.


Saturn is exalted in Libra, Aries polarity sign, because Saturn is the principle of limitation, boundary, consequence, responsibility and structure and Libra is the sign where the individual discovers that none of those things can be defined entirely alone. We can't know where we end if there is no one else to begin. In Aries, Saturn is in the sign of his detriment for just this reason. Aries is the sign of the singular self - I want. I act. I begin. I am. So, Saturn in Aries is where we learn to build a self that can exist without needing to dominate, appease, defer or constantly react to the presence of othersThis can be hell on relationships in the short term but can strengthen our relationship with ourselves and make our relationships with other people better OVER TIME. Relationships are tricky now anyway because we can see/feel how equality - Age of Aquarius - is actually a really new idea within intimate relationships because we are reacting to dynamics and roles that are older than we are. Saturn, retrograde in Aries can help. 


Can we become the author of my own action without making everyone else the (fill in the blank)? That might be the real Libra lesson being carried into Aries. Not, how do I sacrifice myself for the relationship or how do I win? But just - how do I know what is actually mine to do?


So, our general Saturn retrograde list of re-vising commitments, etc, will include now, with Saturn in Aries - 

1. RE - considering what we have started. What did we begin since Saturn entered Aries (middle of February, but also last May - September).

2. RE - thinking responsibility as authorship. What am I actually the author of? What did I consciously choose, and what did I start reactively? There are limits to our time/resources/focus - we can't do everything (we also can't do nothing).  

3. RE - defining our personal boundaries. Where do I end, and the pressure of other people's expectations begin?

4. RE - valuing urgency. Which fires are actually real.

5. RE - structuring desire and will. What do I actually want strongly enough to build. This is a biggie with the BASKET happening right now. 

6. RE - considering anger. What happens to my fire when I cannot act immediately? Do I suppress it, weaponize it and maybe now can I learn to listen to it?


Saturn retrogrades are SERIOUS SECOND CHANCES. 

We should also keep in mind that Saturn is the ancient ruler and current co-ruler of the sign of Aquarius, so Pluto in Aquarius is answering to Saturn, his retrograde will have an impact on Pluto, too. Careers, goals, fathers, authority is changing ..

When Saturn turns direct in December, Dad comes home and brings external structure into our lives. This can feel supportive (if we have been doing our Saturn retro work) or like a wall/limit/roadblock (if we have been partying like it's 1999 - when Prince was on the Radio and Saturn was retrograde in Aries, too, actually). 

Something to think about. This can also be a time when we re-discover our initiative and spark. Career/authority re-structuring begins ...

Let's be considerate of ourselves and what we are putting on our plate now .... especially if we are feeling the exhaustion of the current transition. I hope something here is helpful. I feel like I have missed something here that is staring me in the face, but if so, I will just add a part II :)

xo all

No comments