the meaning of the Full Moon in Cancer | December 29, 2020 - it's time to go

 

 

 

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 10:28PM EST, the Cancer Moon will oppose the Capricorn Sun giving us this month's Full Moon - our annual Full Moon in Cancer.

 

Full Moons are peak energy/culmination points - often endings. We have the moon (where we've been, what we know, feminine energy, being) and the sun (where we are trying to go/be, masculine energy, doing) as far apart in the sky as they can be from our earthly perspective during a Full Moon. This Moon at home in Cancer - so very strong - the Sun, quite comfortable in serious Cappy, but answering to Saturn in Aquarius who is himself answering to Uranus. 

 

Cancer/Capricorn is the polarity of traditional female/male roles. Home and family vs work and the world. How we care for ourselves (and others) and meet our needs for safety and security vs how we push ourselves toward meeting new goals for safety and security. Sometimes on some level love/comfort vs money/comfort. Mom vs dad. Lots of family patterns and soul group energies in this polarity - the Cancer/Capricorn axis - that come to the surface now; ripe to be released. 

 

This release is our gift to ourselves, our ancestors, our past lives and to the planet.


This chart looks pretty straight forward - let's unpack it!


Our last two Cancer Full Moons have been eclipses and this is the first Cancer Full Moon we have had in a couple years without all that Cappy opposition - now we just have Pluto (which is, of course, crazy to say just Pluto, but there I have just said it - ha). 


The Moon is at 8 degrees Cancer, the Sun at 8 degrees Capricorn. The Moon is squaring Chiron in Aries (waning). The Sun is trining Uranus in Taurus (also waning/separating). The Moon is building toward/applying to a trine to Ceres in Pisces. Venus is squaring Neptune. Vesta is squaring the North/South Nodes. 


The Moon's square to Chiron speaks of a painful home/family/mothering situation. This is in the past, but strongly felt here. Chiron's wounds are very old and very deep. We have been over every inch of Cancer territory the last couple years - this has something like 'the last straw' feel to it. 


Keep in mind this pain isn't something that is happening to us, although squares can feel like that. This is actually happening for us. Whatever is triggering us now - understand this is a soul/karmic situation supporting our growth to greater truth/power. They (or the situation) is showing us we are ready to be stronger in our energy. The Chironic wound is actually a great gift.

 

At the same time the Sun's trine to a future leaning Uranus/Black Moon Lilith conjunction - also waning/separating, so in the past - speaks of change coming from this pain - as we liberate ourselves from what hurts and move smoothly in a new direction.


The Moon's only other close aspect is an approaching trine - brakes off - to Ceres (in Pisces). The Moon and Ceres are both mothering archetypes, so good buddies, I think. Their trine feels a bit smother-mothering, but is also incredibly nurturing, compassionate and fertile. 

 

Maybe just what the doctor ordered. 

 

So, this lunation speaks of a familial pain, wounding, "last straw", our movement away from the wound in a detached/intelligent/maybe even rebellious way (remember Capricorn's ruler is in Aquarius now) which leads us toward more compassion and connection. Unconditional love. Forgiveness. God. Peace.


The separating trine to Uranus/BML has made the cord cutting (real or symbolic) a smooth process - not chaotic/disorderly. The applying trine to Ceres (in Pisces) speaks of season of life issues. One door opening as another door closes. Something bigger/even limitless is waiting with open arms.


It's time to go.

 

This Moon, as all things celestial - perfectly and synchronistically timed to wrap up 2020 and speak of our journey this year in the beautiful archetypal language as only the heavens can. The very old deep wounding, the healing coming through the future/tech/the unknown (our karma with trauma) with the connection, forgiveness, unconditional love, peace, God (which, yes, to some of us might feel like smother-mothering we'll talk about that in the 2021 post) in the future. This Moon speaks of where we find ourselves right now - as the Moon tends to do. Our next New Moon (our second of four 23 degree New Moons) will be a BIG one conjunct Pluto. January - especially once we get toward the middle - is HUGE and February is, too. The two steps forward in January, the one step backward reality check in February. This will start to feel familiar as the year rolls out. Going to write a monthly overview this week.


Make the time to get out and walk in the Full Moon's energy. The Moon rules Cancer and is very strong/fertile here. Remember your mother's smiling face and know she did the best she could ....

 

The last of my mother's sisters is in the hospital with covid. Refusing food/nourishment - driven suddenly to some late stage of alzheimer's. She was a working, single-mother back in the late 60's/70's when such a thing was not so common. We are not extremely close, since she wasn't very close to my mother, but in a small family there is always a certain closeness. Intimacy. This Moon is so much like her story right now (as I unpack it) I feel I should warn you, dear reader, there might be something I am not seeing here being as how I can only read this chart with my own eyes. Clouded with nostalgia as they are.


And that wistful nostalgia is making me think of this - from that kindergarten bestseller of a few years back and it seems the perfect way to end this Christmas season as the Cancer Full Moon takes 2020 out with a bang:


"I've known since I was forty years old. Wind-up mechanical toys that make noises and go round and round and do funny things. No batteries. Toys that need me to help them out from time to time. The old-fashioned painted tin ones I had as a child. That's what I want. Nobody believes me. It's what I want, I tell you. Well, okay, that's close, but not quite exactly it. It's delight and simplicity that I want. Foolishness and fantasy and noise. Angels and miracles and wonder and innocence and magic. That's closer to what I want. It's harder to talk about, but what I really, really, really want for Christmas is just this:
 

I want to be five years old again for an hour.
I want to laugh a lot and cry a lot.
I want to be picked up and rocked to sleep in someone's arms, and carried up to bed just one more time. I know what I really want for Christmas.
I want my childhood back.


Nobody is going to give me that. I might give at least the memory of it to myself if I try. I know it doesn't make sense, but since when is Christmas about sense, anyway? It is about the child of now. In you and me. Waiting behind the door of our hearts for something wonderful to happen."
 

- Robert Fulghum
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

No comments